This always reminds me of home in New Mexico. Southwestern flavors that just bring comfort to your tummy.
Write a review
- 3 lbs. Tri-tip Steak chopped into bite size pieces
- 3 Cans Whole Peeled Tomatoes (squished with clean hands)
- 1 Can Tomato Paste
- 2 Cans Dark red Kidney Beans, rinsed (optional)
- 2 Cans Pinto Beans, rinsed (optional)
- Chili Spice Blend (See Spice Mixtures and Rubs)
- 1-3 Jalapenos, seeded and chopped (depending on desired heat)
- Fresh Oregano, chopped
- Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 3-5 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 Yellow or Sweet Onion, chopped
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Liquid Stevia or Coconut Crystals to taste
- 1 Can Whole Green Chiles (chopped)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional garnish)
- Combine all ingredients in a crockpot (slow cooker) or in a large saucepan on the stove.
- Set on low setting.
- Cook on low simmer, stirring occasionally for 6-8 hours.
- Remove Bay Leaves.
- Garnish with Whole Green Chiles and Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- Freeze unused portions for future use.
- You can use fresh tomatoes if you have the time to cook them down.
- Play around with herb and spice blends. It's hard to go wrong with a tomato sauce. Enjoy!
- You do not have to use the beans in this recipe. This is about the only thing I use legumes in and it's only once or twice a year. But I grew up with this, so I treat myself to it every once in a while.
- Vegetarians can make it with only beans, or add another protein source in place of the Steak.
Living Lyme http://www.livinglyme.com/